Multi-criterion optimisation of sensor network data collection with a mobile gateway
IoT applications such as precision agriculture and environmental monitoring often require sensors distributed over a wide area without fixed infrastructure. To overcome constraints such as cost, energy use and communication reliability, drones may be used as mobile gateways. This project will investigate the performance of data collection strategies with parameters such as network configuration, protocol, power source, location stability, flight path and speed, etc. Artificial intelligence techniques will be used to optimise parameters for typical contexts and the predictions will be evaluated through practical fieldwork.
Main advert and other PhDs: https://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/CLV913/8-phd-studentships
Interested applicants should:
- A first degree (at least a 2.1), or a Masters degree, in a discipline relevant to the area of study, (ideally in Computer Science, Informatics, Computer Engineering/Electronics).
- English language requirement: IELTS score must be at least 6.5 (with not less than 6.0 in each of the four components). Other, equivalent qualifications will be accepted. Full details of the University’s policy are available online.
- (applicants whose first language is not English must meet the University’s English language requirements)
- Prove highly motivated to tackle challenging research problems
- Possess good interpersonal skills and show willingness to work as part of a team
- The potential to engage in innovative research and to complete the PhD within a prescribed period of study.
Along with the application, applicants should email the following documents to Ms Laura Cooper; email: L.Cooper@napier.ac.uk
- A one-page research proposal for the selected research topic that demonstrates an understanding of the background to the area and outlines the questions that the applicant is interested in researching. It is important that this proposal is entirely your own work. If you have chosen a specified topic from above then please make this clear at the top of the research proposal.
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter (one page) explaining your background, qualifications, merits and research interests.
- Names and contact details of two referees
Informal enquiries about specific areas can be made to the member of staff mentioned for the topic areas above. General informal enquiries can be made to Professor Ahmed Al-Dubai email@example.com, or Dr Thomas Tan: Z.Tan@napier.ac.uk
Photo by Andreas Dress on Unsplash